What is Agile for Patriots (AFP)?
Agile for Patriots provides military veterans and their spouses with focused Agile training, practical experience, Professional Scrum Master certification, coaching, and resources for finding employment in Agile software development at no cost.
What are the dates of the next program?
Registration for our 2023 cohort is OPEN now through February 10th ! Program dates are as follows:
- Intro to Agile- March 21-22, 2023
- Applying Professional Scrum- April 12-14, 2023
- Practicum– May 5-19, 2023 (weekdays only)
What are the requirements to participate?
- You must be a U.S. military service member, Veteran or the spouse of a service member or Veteran who are interested in pursuing a career in Agile Value Delivery
- AFP Program Participation Requirements
- You will need a computer, strong internet connection and webcam. A headset with microphone is strongly recommended.
How do I apply?
Please carefully review the following to be sure this program is right for you and you can commit fully to the requirements.
Before starting the application process, please have the following ready to attach to your application:
- A signed (or e-signed) copy AFP Program Participation Requirements
- Proof of eligibility: Register with ID.me by clicking on “My Account” in the top right corner and then create an id.me account. We will need the screenshot of your account. Alternatively, you can provide a DD214, but please blackout the SSN
- Attach your most recent resume
If selected to move forward, we will contact you for a brief Zoom interview.
If you have any questions before you start the application process, please submit them here first.
Attend Introduction to Agile session
- Get acquainted with the mindset, values, principles and practices of team-based solution development
Prepare for the Applying Professional Scrum™ (APS) course
- If you wish to continue with the program, self-study and take the Scrum Open assessment. A score of 85% or above is required to proceed
Attend Applying Professional Scrum™ (APS) course
- Complete the pre-training survey/homework
- Attend the virtual course
Take the Professional Scrum Master I certification exam
Within 14 days of completion of the APS course, you must take your first attempt at the Professional Scrum Master certification. You will receive two free attempts at the exam. You will have until 5:00PM Central time on the 8th day of the practicum to pass the PSM-I in order to graduate from the program. Participants may elect to purchase an additional exam if they do not pass the first two attempts.
- If you pass the PSM I on your first attempt, you may apply for the Scrum Master or Product Owner role of the practicum
Attend the 2-week Practicum (Weekdays only)
- You will form a Scrum team that will be tasked with a small project to be completed within 2 weeks
- You will utilize tools such as WordPress, Divi Builder, JIRA software
- Hear from professional Agile speakers and employers
- Experience Sprints from the Agile Delivery Playbook, including Sprint Review and peer reviews
- The practicum concludes with a graduation ceremony
- Alumni support with Meetups in the DFW area
- Potential Apprenticeship opportunities when available
- All graduates in good standing are eligible to participate in select future Scrum.org and Agile for Patriots training, workshops, and ongoing coaching if they have met the guidelines set by the program.